100g self raising flour
75g chilled butter
75g brown sugar
50g chopped nuts, optional
400g rhubarb, trimmed
Zest of 1 orange
1 tablespoon plus 125g caster sugar
125g butter, softened
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
175g self raising flour
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
2 tablespoons orange juice
- Preheat oven to 170°C. Grease and line the base and sides of a 23cm round springform cake tin.
- First make the nutty crumble. Place flour and butter in the food processor and whizz until combined. Stir in the sugar and nuts. Set aside.
- For the cake, slice the rhubarb into 2cm chunks, place in a bowl and mix in orange zest and orange juice. Set aside. Cointreau is also a pretty tasty addition at this point.
- Beat butter and 125g caster sugar until pale and creamy. Add eggs, one at a time. Sift in the flour and cinnamon and gradually add to creamed mixture, finally adding orange juice. If the mixture seems impossibly stiff, I thin it down with a bit of milk.
- transfer cake mixture into prepared tin, smoothing the top. Scatter rhubarb evenly over cake batter and cover fruit with the nutty crumble. Bake in preheated oven for 60 mins, checking with a skewer to see if the cake mixture has set.
- Allow to cool completely before removing from the tin.
Variations We Like;
- use lemon zest and juice in place of the orange
- substitute half the rhubarb for apples cut into similar-sized chunks